In this article, we’ll talk all about garage builders, garage building and construction services, and garage design services. Specifically, we’ll look at the difference between these types of companies, talk more about the circumstances when garage building, construction, design providers usually hired, highlight what they do, and give some advice on choosing the right garage builders, garage building and construction services, and/or garage design services to meet your individual project needs.
GARAGE BUILDERS, GARAGE BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, AND GARAGE DESIGN SERVICES – DIFFERENCES
First and foremost, it’s important to understand the differences between garage builders, garage building and construction services, and garage design services. While not hard and fast rules, in most cases, these designations refer to the degree of specialty and services companies offer. While most companies that are billed as garage building and construction services also usually provide comprehensive garage planning and design services, the same is not necessarily true of the other two types of companies. Garage builders tend to refer to companies or contractors who do the actual construction or building of the garage. Garage design services, on the other hand, are primarily focused on the planning and architectural design of a garage. They then may turn over their designs to garage builders or garage building and construction services with which they are affiliated or leave it up to the client to find an appropriate garage builder.
In most cases, though, a full-service garage building and construction services company will be present in your geographic area, and most consumers are advised to seek out one of these types of businesses. It’s easier to have a single point of contact, who follows the project from design through construction completion, rather than hire multiple different companies. Regardless, if there is any confusion about what services a given company may offer, usually their website, advertisement or a quick phone call can clear up their capabilities and allow consumers to choose the best company for their project.
GARAGE BUILDERS, GARAGE BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, AND GARAGE DESIGN SERVICES – WHEN AND WHY THEY ARE USED
Also, necessary to understand when and why garage builders, garage building and construction services, and garage design services are used. Typically, they aren’t part of the initial new construction of a home, apartment, office, or similar. Integrated garages for typical new home construction generally built by the housebuilder, designed by the home designer or architect, and executed by the general contractor(s) affiliated with the builder.
For cases where added garage to an existing building, addition to an existing garage or a free-standing out-building garage must be built, most probably you’ll need one of these services. They mainly perform all the planning, design, and garage building/construction tasks necessary to execute the project, including general contractor services, electrical, plumbing (if required), paving or slab work (if needed), and similar. If garage builders, garage building and construction services, garage design services providers don’t have the capabilities to complete some part of a task, they usually have affiliated contractors that they hire, to complete the work. For example, not every garage building and construction services company necessarily have the equipment to lay down a new garage concrete slab. But, being an everyday activity for garage building, they likely have an extensive network of companies to hire as sub-contractors to complete this phase of the project.
GARAGE BUILDERS, GARAGE BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, AND GARAGE DESIGN SERVICES – WHAT THEY DO
Garage builders, garage building and construction services, garage design services providers are concerned with every stage of planning, designing, and building any of the garage types we’ve discussed in this article. Obviously garage design services are more focused on the design and architectural aspects, garage builders on the actual garage construction, while garage building and construction services companies usually do it all. To outline the typical tasks and functions offered by these companies, we describe the full lifecycle of garage design and construction, without tying the services to a different type of company.
The typical garage building process includes:
- Meeting with the customer to get a sense of what kind of garage, size, scope, location, etc. he desires,
- Surveying the site to determine any earth-moving, excavation, leveling, utility, or other considerations will be involved with the garage construction,
- Design of the garage by an architect, meeting building specifications/codes, material and aesthetic desires of the client,
- Approval by the client or rejection and revision until approval achieved,
- Get permits, certification to do the work,
- Preparatory works, such as flattening the ground, excavation, etc.,
- In the case when addition constructed for existing garage, demolition work may be involved in removing an existing garage wall to join to the new garage,
- Laying a slab or other base for the garage,
- Building the structure of the garage, concerning building code requirements,
- Completing exterior finishing including siding, roofing, and similar,
- Interior electrical and other wirings, plumbing, etc. work,
- Interior finishing works such as drywall, outlet installation, painting, etc.,
- Installation of garage door openers or other equipment,
- Certification and sign-off by building inspectors (if required),
- Clean-up the worksite.
GARAGE BUILDERS, GARAGE BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, AND GARAGE DESIGN SERVICES – CHOOSING THE RIGHT COMPANY
When you need to hire garage builders, garage building, construction services or garage design services provider, it can be challengeable to select the right one. After all, most people don’t interact with these kinds of companies on a regular basis – they may be hiring them once or twice their entire lives. However, like for any home service/improvement-type businesses, looking at a few key categories and asking a few fundamental questions about their business can help you pick the right company to meet your needs. These key categories and advisable questions include:
- Services – what exactly do they offer? Do they only provide garage design services, or are they a full-service operation that does garage building and construction services, etc. as well?
- Reputation – does the garage building and construction services company have a good reputation? How are the reviews from customers?
- Experience – how long have they been in garage building and construction services business? How many garage building and construction jobs have they completed? How many satisfied customers do they have?
- Licenses/Certifications – are they bonded/licensed by the state or city where they work? Do they belong to any professional associations?
- Safety – do they place a priority on safety? Do they ensure the garage building and construction worksite is secure and safe for their personal and you and your family? Do they use safety gear while working?
- Professionalism – do they promptly return customer calls? Are they polite and courteous? Do they answer questions openly and reasonably?
- Time and Cost – how long do they estimate the garage building and construction job will take them to complete? Do they have parts and materials in-stock or need to special-order some/all of them? What is the cost estimate? How does this compare to other garage building and construction services companies?
SUMMARY OF GARAGE CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING SERVICES
The process of building a new free-standing garage, building a new garage attached to a home, or an addition to an existing garage, is complicated with many steps and tasks involved. The experts from garage builders, garage building and construction services, and garage design services are best equipped to handle these tasks. Some garage building and construction services companies offer comprehensive services, while others may be more specialized. Regardless, with a little effort and research, consumers can find the perfect garage building and construction services company or companies to meet their needs, to make a new garage or garage addition through the process of design and construction, bringing the garage of your dreams to life!